Search This Blog

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Soup



  The Soup:
  1 small head of cauliflower, cut in florets
  300 g (one medium) sweet potato, peeled and chopped
  1 onion, chopped
  5 cloves garlic, sliced
  1 tablespoon olive oil
  2 teaspoons garam masala
  1 and 1/2 dl coconut milk
  4 dl vegetable stock
  salt to taste
  about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
  I fried the onion and garlic in the oil until soft, then added the sweet potato and cauliflower, and fried for a few more minutes. After frying the veggies, I added the coconut milk, vegetable stock, and garam masala, and let the soup simmer until the vegetables were soft, for about 20 minutes. While it was boiling, I prepared the cashews.
  Then I puréed the soup with out immersion blender, added a little bit of salt (might not be necessary if the stock is very salty), and stirred in the lemon juice. Before serving, I sprinkled my bowl with cashews.
  Cashew Nuts:
  1 dl cashews
  1 tablespoon agave syrup
  1 tablespoon water
  pinch of cinnamon
  1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
  pinch of salt
  First I toasted the cashews lightly on a dry frying pan, and meanwhile mixed the rest of the ingredients together. When the nuts had browned a bit, I lowered the heat to medium, poured the syrup mixture in the pan, and stirred until the cashews were shiny and covered with the syrup, and the water had evaporated. Now, I poured the nuts on a plate covered with aluminium foil and let them cool down until the soup was ready to serve.
  My cashews came out really sticky, which basically means that I didn’t caramelize them enough. That’s not a problem when sprinkled in a soup, but the leftover cashews were a nuisance to eat…

No comments:

Post a Comment